How to decide whether to install solar panels at home or not?
Should I get solar panels for my house?
Is solar worth it for my home?
How to decide whether to install solar panels at home or not?
If you find yourself asking similar questions, then chances are you might be skeptical to opt solar.
Best way to find whether to go solar or not would be to ask for a site survey from a home solar power company. Meanwhile (not an alternative, but for the time being) ask yourself more specific questions.
But let me add a caveat.
- First, this is not an exhaustive list of parameters which are evaluated to arrive at a conclusion.
- Second, self evaluation can never be compared with the way solar experts do it. Experienced professionals from solar company perform site survey to determine the viability and their conclusions would be more reliable.
Practical aspects to be considered while deciding to go solar
What is your energy consumption pattern?
The amount of electricity consumed depends largely on the location and then on the life style of the user. If you want to know whether your monthly power consumption is increasing or not; the best way is to compare the units of electricity consumed in the previous year and the current year. And this detail you can easily get from the electricity bills.
If you see a pattern of rising consumption, then it is a sign to opt for solar energy. The tariff are going to increase, no matter what, but if your electricity consumption is more and is also increasing then this is a time to switch to solar.
What is the availability of sunlight in your area?
You can determine how many hours of the day; the sunlight is available in your premises either by using online tools to calculate sun-hours or using solar insolation charts updated every year by the government authorities.
When you are investing in solar, you should be able to get all the benefits of installing solar panels like for example, uninterrupted power at an economic rate. But if the rooftop of your residence has sunshade because of plantation, or the weather is cloudy most of the time, then going for solar won’t benefit much.
How much surface area is available?
Assuming the solar panel efficiency of 18 percent, a 1 kW solar plant can be constructed on 5.5 square meter area.
Well, now a days different types of solar mounting like pitched roof and ground mountings are possible, which can stand the structures and arrange the solar array even in the least imaginable surface area. Many expert solar installations can even save the terrace or roof area uncovered for the client’s perusal. I.e. all of your ground space won’t be occupied by the solar array.
Insolergy Technologies is a solar EPC company in India which provides turnkey solar solutions. The team of IIT Bombay alumni visits your premise first and presents the 3D modelling of the plant infrastructure; so that you can get an idea about the surface area that would be covered by the solar array.
How much to go solar?
Yes, that is a valid consideration. While you are deciding whether to use solar power at home or not, this could be a big influencing factor. Those who get solar panels installed at home do not necessarily run all home appliances only through solar power.
If you are living in a place with acute shortage of electricity, going 100% solar may be a fair argument. However, in urban parts of Maharashtra for example where electricity supply is quite robust. Going 100% solar can be overkill. It may actually reduce the overall benefits while also increasing the monetary outlay.
The financial aspects of installing solar power system
Government of India has proposed different incentives and schemes to promote the solar PV installations. Several financing options are also available at nominal rates of interest so that this abundant energy source can become viable for every household.
Tax benefits can also be claimed on the solar assets.
When government itself is promoting solar energy, then there should not be any regional laws against permitting a person to get solar panels for home installed. Paper work required is for obtaining the grid connectivity, which usually can be taken care of by the solar EPC companies.
ETEnergyworld | In two years solar energy for residential sector would be cheaper than electricity grid: Solar pl… https://t.co/RSnHAGIquB
— ETEnergyWorld (@ETEnergyWorld) July 24, 2017
Are solar panels for home worth it? Is solar energy viable?
Factors which indicate economic viability of solar energy especially in India are:
- Electricity Rates: Consider electricity rates in Maharashtra for example. Compared to current rates of electricity in Maharashtra (avg. residential Rs 10.0/unit, commercial Rs. 14.0/unit and industrial Rs 8.5/unit), the Levelised Cost of Electricity (LCoE) produced using rooftop solar plant is around Rs 4.0 to 6.0 per unit (depending upon system size).
- Return on Investment: Typical Return on Investment period is around 3 to 5 years, which is significantly less compared to operating life (with warranty on Solar Panels) of 25 years.
- Solar Subsidies: There are Central Govt. incentives like Subsidy (30% of benchmark cost) for residential/educational/trusts consumers, and Accelerated Depreciation benefit in Income Tax for commercial/industrial consumers. These subsidies reduce the installation costRelated Posts: About MEDA Solar Subsidies in Maharashtra | Solar Company for Rooftop Solar Subsidy
- Solar Finance: Also, by opting for solar financing options like Bank Loans or Power Purchase Agreement (PPA), consumer can immediately start saving around 25 – 30% of their electricity costs without any significant upfront investment.
Site survey and assessment for solar PV installation
Before you completely discard the idea of getting solar PV system for your home or make a hustle decision to install them without understanding its benefits, call solar solutions provider for a site survey.
At Insolergy, the team performs analysis to:
- Determine shadow free area available on your house roof
- Assess type and condition of your roof
- Decide interconnection of Solar system to existing home electrical setup
- Identify suitable location for placing home solar system components on rooftop
For site survey in Mumbai or Pune , contact Insolergy